This is a popular South Indian soup recipe using tomatoes, which is a great accompaniment with white rice.
1. Thinly chopped tomato-6 no's
2. Oil- 1 1/4 tbsp
3. Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
4. Cumin seeds- 1/4 tsp
5. Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tsp
6. Turmeric powder- 1/ tsp
7. Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
8. Rasam Powder-1 1/2 tbsp
9. Hing / Asafoetida-a pich
10. Dry red chilly-3 no's
11. Curry leaves-3 spring
12. Crushed garlic-1 tsp
13. Crushed small onion-2 no's
14. Salt-to taste
15. Tamarind - lemon size ball (soak in 1/2 cup hot water)
16. Coriander leaves-to garnish
preparation of tomato rasam:---
- · Heat oil in a pan, when it is ho add mustard seeds followed by cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add dry red chilly, curry leaves and shallots crushed.
- · Add garlic and tomato chopped.
- · Saute until mashed well.
- · Then add turmeric powder followed by pepper powder, hing and rasam powder.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of water and salt.
- When it boils add tamarind soaked water and cook for about 7- 8 minutes.
- Switch of the flame by sprinkling little pepper powder and coriander leaves on top.